Thursday, August 26, 2021

Hurricane Grace

 This week went great. Not a whole lot different from my first week. We went to the chapel, called a lot of people and talked to only a few of them. However, in addition to calling people we had a few great experiences. 


In the beginning of the week we had 3 family home evenings with members. One Monday night and two Tuesday night. I think they went great! I don't understand everything that the members said but that's ok, I just need to keep working on my spanish. 

Tuesday morning we had our first district/zone conference. It started with a Zone meeting where everyone introduced themselves followed by a few announcements. We then broke up into districts. It was great to meet the other elders that I'm serving with. (There are no hermanas serving in my zone or district) Quite a few of the elders in my generation are in my zone which I thought was cool. We are having another zone conference this coming Saturday (I think) because a member of the seventy is coming to our mission. So we are preparing for that. 

Saturday was the day Hurricane Grace hit. As a category 3 hurricane I was expecting quite a storm as it was predicted to go right through Mexico City. As it would be my third hurricane I was ready for whatever it would bring. However, it ended up going more north than originally plotted, so we only got light rain most of the day. 

On Sunday I gave my first talk in the mission field and first talk in spanish! I was hoping to go a little longer than two weeks until I had to give a talk, but that wasn't to be. The topic for the talk was "missionary work," so I talked about 3 things I have learned so far during my mission. They were: God answers our prayers, God's love for us is real, and what persevere to the end means. I thought the talk went well and members said it was powerful, so I guess it did! I'm not going to share the entire talk but I want to share my testimony about God's love for us. I know God knows us individually and personally. He loves us more than we can even imagine and wants what is best for us. He will help us in everything we do if we allow him. Every trial we go through, every hardship is for our benefit so we can become more like Christ and our Father in Heaven. 

Elder Neilson 
Tacos from the members.

Hammock at a member's home

ducks the members have on their roof!

Zone conference. All elders in our zone.

more tacos!


No comments:

Post a Comment

List of all Mission Transfers